In 1958 The Sportscar Racing World Championship changed their regulations and required that all racing vehicles must have a 3-liter limit on engine displacement. Ferrari did not want to have to back out of racing and in response to these new regulations they built the Ferrari 250 Testarossa.
It was so named because of its red cam covers (testarossa is “red head” in Italian). The 250 TR was extremely successful, winning four out of the five races in the 1958 season including the Le Mans 24 Hours. Only 18 of these cars were ever produced.